February 25, 2006

An intriguing Traviata


Reviews Written by

When I first saw this recording in a DG catalog I didn't pay much attention to it. In my youthful ignorance I thought that Cotrubas cannot be a serious contender for this much demanding and loved opera role. Time went by I get to know Mr. Kleiber accomplishments quite well and here I am listening to his Traviata.

The opening is absolutely superb in its quiet intensity but then things get pretty "energetic" (a Kleiber trademark). One would say that there is no way Traviata can face such an energetic approach. You will destroy everything that this opera is about. And yet I am stroke again by the artistic intelligence Mr. Kleiber displays in all his recordings. The intelligence that brings to light all dark corners of a certain composition works its way again and maybe even better than in some of his orchestral recordings (Brahms' 4th is the first that comes to mind). All the nuances o this drama are in place very well-balanced. The music really flows on the evolution of the characters in the most agreeable way.

The leading characters are also worthy to mention. For me first of all comes Domingo which is in very beautiful voice but more involved and convincing than he usually is. A really strong and enjoyable performance (I don't think that Pavarotti is an option for Alfredo). Milnes is indeed a very beautiful Germont. Beautiful voice, nice approach to the character. I especially liked that I didn't find him so "pushy" as some of the other singers feel that have to approach this role. The only one better on disc I can think of is Nicolae Herlea. Last but not least comes Cotrubas. Well, she hasn't the biggest of voices nor the most beautiful one, and yet she is so good of a Violeta. Of all Violetas she is the only one that reminded me of Dumas' character description. She sings well (I think that the technique is just the one that saves her perfomance) she is fragile and so helpless in defeating her fate. I must admit that I am addicted to the power Callas brings to the character but this is a very good and full of meaning performance.

I let the sound for the end as is the least important aspect. But here this recording stands out from the crowd adding a (to) much praised nowadays aspect to the recording.

All in all if you love Verdi's La traviata you can't be without this recording.

No comments: