February 26, 2006

End of the road


Reviews Written by

This is what I felt when I finally got to listen to these concertos after couple of years of intense searching. Although technically maybe not so difficult as said everywhere, I found them extremely difficult as far as music and 'the right tone' goes. Horowitz once said that nowadays people play Mozart like Chopin and vice-versa. And this is true for many of the recordings with violin concertos. None I've listened before really told the story of these concertos. I got as close as I could with Mutter/Karajan and Perlman/Levine. Yet sometimes the violin was to impersonal (Mutter) or the orchestra not quite on the subject (Levine). This Christmas I finally got to listen to Grumiaux of which I've heard before and let me tell you this: everything you read here is true. Grumiaux is playing the whole Mozart in these concertos. I'd go as far as to say that is is one of the best Mozart 'incarnations' in sound in all recorded music history. He is elegant, wonderful and full of understanding phrasing. Everything is there in full range. Colin Davis does, as usual, a great job accompanying an outstanding performance in every aspect. Even those of you who only enjoy a very good recorded sound have all the reasons to be happy. It hardly can get better than this. But Grumiaux deserves all appraisals above all. What he does is extreme and sweet justice to Mozart and to his music.

No comments: