March 01, 2006

Norma

Callas made this role her own during her career. She sang this part on numerous occasions and she recorded it more than once. I've listened to one more recording except this but in the end I return to this one as my favorite Norma. And the reason is not Callas (as she is in a very good shape in both), but Christa Ludwig. In my view any good recording of Norma desperatly needs as good a mezzo as a soprano. Their duet is one of the highligths of this opera and any weakness at all ruins it. As I once read somewhere and I do stand by it, in this recording you have the two best representatives of the German and Italian schools of music working together to create a most impressive vocal and dramatic piece of art.

And there is still more to this recording: Franco Corelli as Pollione and Tulio Serafin conducting. Aside from being my favorite tenor, Pollione is one of Corelli's landmarks roles and in this studio recording you can hear why: his voice is in great shape, the phrasing is superb, the dramatic content of his character is so reach and true, sculptured with beauty and authority. You won't hear a better Pollione. Serafin, on the other hand, the last great representative of the old school of opera conducting puts everything together in the most convincing manner. You won't witness fireworks or earthquakes but you will hear a perfectly glued musical story, wonderfully painted musical landscapes, rock solid logic in the support the orchestra gives to his characters evoutions and conflicts. I'll mention Zaccaria for his name and his professionalism but I have listened to him in better form.

All in all you have five of the greatest opera artists working together to create the full splendor of Bellini's masterpiece.

No comments: